Welcome to the Online Burning Permit System
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is pleased to offer annual burning permits online for a five-dollar fee. Online permits are valid for the calendar year and must be activated each day burning occurs. Permits to burn more than three piles, piles larger than 20' x 20' in size or an area more than one acre, will need a variance permit from a local DNR Forestry office.
Note: You may not conduct your burn until you have activated your permit. You may activate on-line during your application process, or by calling 1-866-533-BURN (2876). Activation will only be possible if burning conditions are favorable to allow open burning; you will receive an activation code that you must write on your permit in the space provided.
You will need:
- Ownership of the burning site or written permission from the landowner.
- Size, location and type of burn (piled material, grass field, garden plot, etc.)
- Credit/Debit card (Mastercard or Visa)
- Printer or mobile device to display the permit
- a valid email address to create an account.